Connect two serial ports(Read 17095 times)
Connect two serial ports on: October 14, 2011, 06:32:53 AM
Device A <------> Device B using a serial cable.  I want to monitor the traffic between the two devices.  I have Serial Port Monitor, Serial Port Terminal and Virtual Serial Port components.

I have connected Device A to COM6 and Deivce B to COM7.  I have run Serial Port Monitor and opened both COM6 and COM7 .. but I cannot connect the input from COM6 to the output of COM7 and vice versa.

I tried using Virtual Serial port to create a pair from COM6 and COM7 which it did .. and it did connect the two together, but it also connected their inputs so they can talk internally but not externally.

Is there a way using any of the Eltima components to connect COM6 to COM7?

Re: Connect two serial ports Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 04:07:11 AM
I guess there is not a method, so I went ahead and wrote a program that will do it.  I can now run my 'null modem' program which will connect two physical com ports such that the input from one port is sent to the output of the other port.

What I do now is remove the 232 cable connecting Device A to Device B from Device B and connect it to COM1 on my PC.  Then I add a cable from COM2 on my PC to Device B.  By running the null modem program Device A can now talk to Device B.  By additionally running Com port monitor program from Eltima I can now observe the traffic from A to B and vice versa.

I'm sure Eltima must have some way to do this, or maybe a feature they could add.  Simple to do but sure is a valuable tool to have when trying to work out protocol issues between two devices.

Re: Connect two serial ports Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:04:20 PM
Well, the post above doesn't explain why I am geting the same message, I am only licensed for one, but I only want to startup one and I get the same message. I do not have more then one running anywhere either. Unless the last time it was running, maybe some file you use didn't shut down but I have no idea what file that may be.
I am not registering any clients, just the server (my machine)and the server side starts up fine and I can set to share the USB port fine as well, it is when I try to open the client side I get the message "too many running" and the client side won't open.

Re: Connect two serial ports Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 09:00:55 AM
Device A <------> Device B using a serial cable.  I want to monitor the traffic between the two devices.  I have Serial Port Monitor, Serial Port Terminal and Virtual Serial Port components.

I have connected Device A to COM6 and Deivce B to COM7.  I have run Serial Port Monitor and opened both COM6 and COM7 .. but I cannot connect the input from COM6 to the output of COM7 and vice versa.

I tried using Virtual Serial port to create a pair from COM6 and COM7 which it did .. and it did connect the two together, but it also connected their inputs so they can talk internally but not externally.

Is there a way using any of the Eltima components to connect COM6 to COM7?

Hello,

Sorry for so overdue reply.

In fact, you can use Eltima Software products in order to monitor the communication between two serial devices that are connected to the same computer (even with no serial cable used).

For the specified purpose we will need to use Serial Splitter in pair with Serial Port Monitor.
In order to be able to monitor the data flow between two devices, they should both be connected to the computer via COM ports. If your computer doesn't have two COM ports, USB to COM adapters can be used instead.

With Serial Splitter you'll be able to redirect all serial traffic from one real port (where your first device is connected) to the second one (where the second serial device is plugged in accordingly). This will allow two serial devices connected to the same computer to communicate exactly as is they were connected with a serial cable.

After that you'll merely have to install Serial Port Monitor to monitor one of the real ports. Please note, that you don't need to monitor two real ports simultaneously. Monitoring only one serial port will suffice as, obviously, if the devices are connected via a serial cable (or all the data is just redirected from one real serial port to the other as I described above), the data written to one serial port will be received unchanged on the other and vice versa.

To read about Serial Splitter features, please visit the page:
http://www.eltima.com/products/serialsplitter/?tab=2

A free trial version of this product can be downloaded via the direct link below:
http://www.eltima.com/download/serial_splitter.exe

Re: Connect two serial ports Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 09:19:40 AM
Well, the post above doesn't explain why I am geting the same message, I am only licensed for one, but I only want to startup one and I get the same message. I do not have more then one running anywhere either. Unless the last time it was running, maybe some file you use didn't shut down but I have no idea what file that may be.
I am not registering any clients, just the server (my machine)and the server side starts up fine and I can set to share the USB port fine as well, it is when I try to open the client side I get the message "too many running" and the client side won't open.

I guess you should have posted your question as a separate topic as this one is related to Serial Port Monitor mainly. But never mind :)

As for the problem you faced. I'm sorry, but though you are sure that you haven't registered the client computer with the same key as server, I insist that the problem might be registration related.

Please send us an e-mail with a brief description of your problem to support@eltima.com. We'll send you a trial registration key so that you could try unregistering USB to Ethernet Connector on the client side to see if this resolves the problem.

Re: Connect two serial ports Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:48:31 AM
Well you can use the concept of null modem to connect two different devices. you need two computers or two physical ports on one computer to achieve this. Using Virtual Null Modem software you can emulate the null modem and run the two applications on the same computer without any additional hardware.
http://www.passingpisstests.com/

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5