[USB to Ethernet] Sharing between local host and remote host (multiple clients)?(Read 10520 times)
Hello,

Is it true that once a device is "served" by the server it becomes completely unavailable to the local host?

If so, I see that you can add it as a remote device and regain control.

Is it possible to be attached to the same device from multiple clients?  If this isn't a current feature, is it planned for a future release?

Also, is anyone familiar with a device driver that mirrors a USB device?

Thanks,

Matt

Is it true that once a device is "served" by the server it becomes completely unavailable to the local host?

Yes, this is correct. When the certain USB device is shared, it becomes unavailable on the computer that it was shared on. Once the device is successfully unshared, you gain full control over it on the server.

Unfortunately, USB to Ethernet –°onnector does not allow multiple computers to access the same shared USB device simultaneously. According to our investigations, such multiaccess solution is technically impossible for a universal tool like ours.

If so, I see that you can add it as a remote device and regain control.

As soon as USB to Ethernet Connector server and client parts are combined in one application (for convenience), yes, it is possible to share the device with USB to Ethernet Connector and then connect to it locally (from the same computer, using the "Remote USB devices" tab in USB to Ethernet Connector). But on practice this doesn't makes much sense and is useful only as a loopback test to verify whether USB to Ethernet Connector can successfully establish the client connection with the shared USB device.

Is it possible to be attached to the same device from multiple clients?  If this isn't a current feature, is it planned for a future release?

Also, is anyone familiar with a device driver that mirrors a USB device?

Possibly, there are some specialized software tools on the market that would let you share one particular type of USB devices (web-cams, for instance) and work with this device remoly from multiple computers at a time.

However, I doubt that there exists any universal tool similar to USB to Ethernet Connector (I mean a tool supporting virtually any type of USB device: flash drives, cameras, printers and so on.) that would allow simultaneous access to shared USB devices. Please let us know if you've heard of any software tool of this kind.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5