vista install of OEM activex control(Read 25019 times)
vista install of OEM activex control on: February 06, 2008, 06:12:23 PM
I recently upgraded to version 6.0 of the virtual serial port activex control on an OEM license. I have used Visual Studio 2005 to build an install for our product, which includes the activeX control. The install works on XP but does not work on Vista. I am using RegVSP.exe with the arguments:

RegVSP.exe /i:"ourname#ourlicense".

When I run this install on Vista I get a pop up window that says "DllRegisterServer in VSPort.dll failed. Return code was: 0×80070005″ and so the install does not complete.

What do I need to do differently?

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:24:34 AM
As can be deribed from Virtual Serial Port Activex Control -> Usaer Manual -> VSP ActiveX Control installation -> Quiet registration for OEM license owners:

Virtual Serial Port AX OEM version has to be quietly registered on a client's PC for proper functioning. For quiet registration of VSP ActiveX you need to execute the following command:

regVSP vsport.dll /i:"Name#code"

As you can see the difference in your command line is the absence of 'vsport.dll'.

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 05:44:07 PM
I'm sorry, that was a mistake in the post. The vsport.dll argument is included in my command line.
The problem is actually about Vista permissions- basically, although an MSI file is run under administrator privileges, processes it spawns, like regsvr32, are not by default. The problem is not specific to Eltima software.
I found a fix here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/10/23/mailbag-how-to-set-the-noimpersonate-flag-for-a-custom-action-in-visual-studio-2005.aspx#1510538

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 09:09:51 PM
My install now runs all the way through, and a window comes up saying that the DLL is successfully registered. However, something still isn't right. When I run my application, it fails to create a virtual serial port, and when I run the VC6 sample program, I click "Create Port" and a window pops up that says "Warning: Cannot be created port".
To debug this problem, I uninstalled my software, and then ran the full package install from your website on the same Vista computer. Once I did this, both my application and the sample application worked correctly.
I believe I am following the Redistribution instructions in your documentation completely. First I ran "vsbsetup.exe" with no arguments, then I ran RegVSP as discussed in the last post. I am copying over all the files shown in the table (evsbc.inf, evsbc.sys, evserial.inf, and evserial.sys) in addition to regvsp.exe, vsbsetup.exe, and vsport.dll.
Do you have an idea why my install does not work?

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 10:01:54 PM
My project is still waiting on a solution for this problem.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 01:15:24 PM
I kindly ask you to copy evsbc.cat and evserial.cat files to the target machine's temporary (permanent) installation directory, so Windows Vista could verify digital signature. Please find evsbc.cat and evserial.cat files in the folder where you have VSP ActiveX Control installed ( ... \Program Files\Eltima Software\VSP AX OEM 6.0\NT6).

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 11:22:17 PM
Thanks - I tried this though and it didn't change my result. Do I need to do anything specific to run these files, or should just copying them to the folder be enough?

I am still completing the install successfully, but getting the 'port cannot be created' error in both my application and the VC sample application.

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 02:14:11 PM
The problem could be caused by the fact that the driver is not installed. I kindly ask you to launch vsbsetup.exe file from NT5 folder. Please follow the path:

...\Program Files\Eltima Software\VSP AX OEM 6.0\NT6

Please note that driver could not be installed because of incorrect folder structure in your install. Please, refer to the Manual and see "VSP driver installation" section to find the instructions.

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 09:58:33 PM
Yes, it turns out I was using the files from the NT5 folder instead. My install works when I use the NT6 files. Thanks for working on this with me.
Do the NT6 files also work for XP, or do I need to create separate installs for Vista and XP?

Re: vista install of OEM activex control Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:38:49 AM
We are glad that you succeed to install Virtual Serial Port Activex Control on Windows Vista. Please, be informed that the drivers for Windows Vista are located in the NT6 folder, drivers for Windows XP - in the NT5 folder. Please note that it is necessary to create separate installs for Windows Vista and Windows XP.

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask for technical help from me.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5