USB2Ether won't start for AD users on OSX(Read 10712 times)
USB2Ether won't start for AD users on OSX on: June 07, 2012, 09:56:11 PM
Hi,
I'm evaluating your USB to Ethernet software.  I have a few Mac Minis in a locked room and have remote users with Windows 7 PCs that need to use OSX for iOS development.  They will be connecting using TurboVNC on Windows.  Both the PCs and Macs are joined to Active Directory natively and users are required to connect with the same credentials.  Both have all of the most current patches and the AD user is an administrator on both systems.  Both Eltima clients were downloaded yesterday and are the most current versions.

I installed U2E with a local account on both systems and it works perfectly.  I share my iPad in Windows, connect from the Mac and I can see it in iTunes.  Simple and easy (thank you).

However, when I logon to the Mac with my domain credentials, I get an error message when I launch the app saying "daemon is unreachable...please try to relogin".  If I logon with the local account it all works but not at all with an AD account.  Again, we have a security requirement to use AD accounts for all system access so the local account is not an option.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance ASAP since this is the only solution I've found and we have an urgent need.  Thanks so much.

Re: USB2Ether won't start for AD users on OSX Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:41:46 AM
Hello,

In order to normally work with USB to Ethernet Connector the user who launches the product should be a member of localaccounts group.

You can list the group memberships for current account by executing 'groups' command (without quotes) from the console.

Please verify if your AD account has membership in the specified group - localaccounts. If it doesn't have one, please try to add it. Then check if USB to Ethernet Connector starts and works properly.

Re: USB2Ether won't start for AD users on OSX Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:58:21 PM
@alexander-britt:
First off thank you for your reply.  While it makes sense, I'm unclear on how to add a local account to this particular group.  For example, I wrote a deployment script for techs that adds a specified AD account to the local admin group using dscl as follows:
Code: javascript:void(0);
sudo dscl . –append /Groups/admin GroupMembership $END_USER
The problem is that the group "localaccounts" does not have a GroupMembership attribute.  And the comments field for the group mentions
"Group membership calculated by system. Accounts from the local directory database or /etc files"

Can anyone please tell me how to add an AD account to 10.7's localaccounts group?  If possible I'd prefer to do this from the command line so that it can be added to my scripts.  Thanks again.

Re: USB2Ether won't start for AD users on OSX Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:43:37 AM
Can anyone please tell me how to add an AD account to 10.7's localaccounts group?

For more specific guidelines on this matter, you should probably contact your system administrator.

Re: USB2Ether won't start for AD users on OSX Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:12:18 PM
For more specific guidelines on this matter, you should probably contact your system administrator.

:o  ???  :P  LOL, I AM my systems administrator! 

So I was able to get it to work.  The issue was that the group "localaccounts" automatically creates members based on other system settings that I wasn't able to find.  I used the Directory Services app (/System/Library/CoreServices) and manually created the setting and added users individually.  From that point on I was able to launch the tool and remote connect.  WOO-HOO!

From the command line, here is what this looks like:
Code: javascript:void(0);
sudo dscl . -append /Groups/localaccounts GroupMembership network_user_id
I did this once for each user that needs to be added since I couldn't see how to send multiple values in one command.  Also, make sure to use "append" and not "create" since the latter is destructive and will delete previous values if they existed.

Thanks @alexander-britt for your help in getting this resolved.  Looks like you help make a customer out of me!  Cheers.

Re: USB2Ether won't start for AD users on OSX Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:45:21 AM
So I was able to get it to work.

I'm really glad to hear that you've manage to sort thing out and that everything's now working as expected. And thank you for sharing the recipe to overcome the issue - future USB to Ethernet Connector, who might potentially face the same issue, would find your instructions priceless.

Ragards

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5