License Dialog pops up for customers(Read 16343 times)
License Dialog pops up for customers on: May 13, 2008, 08:49:23 PM
Hi

I am using SPort.dll OEM in a popular software. Earlier (with version 2) i entered my license-key on my development-pc and i did NOT deliver it to my customers. Now i updated to V3 and every user should enter my license-data in the popup-window. Should i deliver my license-key with parameter regsp.exe /i name#code ? Why it was possible to use SPort.dll earlier without delivering the license-key ?

Besides this i want to ask how i can unregister SPort.dll on my PC so that i get the License-Window again. I tried really everything: Uninstalling with the uninstaller from Eltima, cleaning the registry,... its not possible that i have a SPort-Clean PC to reenter my licensedata for testing-purposes.

Thanks for answer.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 08:51:22 PM by fjsoft »

Re: License Dialog pops up for customers Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 05:09:29 PM
1) Please try quiet registration of Serial Port AX. Please execute the following command:

regsp.exe sport.dll /i:"Name#code"

Where "Name" is registration name and "code" is registration code. For example:

regsp.exe sport.dll /i:"TEST TEST#xxxxx-W9FC5V-31AXAX-F884EC-WN7G92-X3VXEE-21CFEE-524E94-651198-2A84FA-663C11-xxxxxx"

2) Please, be informed that you are not able to unregister Serial Port ActiveX Control on your PC because it is already registered in your system.

3) It is not recommended to edit the registry unless you are sure of the actions you perform. We can't guarantee that everything will work fine after that.

Re: License Dialog pops up for customers Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:33:01 AM
Thanks for information

Re: License Dialog pops up for customers Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:53:23 AM
Please, don't hesitate to ask for technical help from me. I will be glad to provide you with Technical support.

Re: License Dialog pops up for customers Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:27:37 PM
Let´s see if I got the point.

My application, which I distribute to my customers uses sport.dll. When installing it on my customer´s destination system, I have to call

regsp.exe sport.dll /i:"TEST TEST#xxxxx-W9FC5V-31AXAX-F884EC-WN7G92-X3VXEE-21CFEE-524E94-651198-2A84FA-663C11-xxxxxx"

from my installation wizzard (like InnoSetup, Wise...).

1. This way enables customers to get my personal licence key. For nearly every Installation wizzard there are decompilers. I just have to decompile the setup.exe and bang - I have a valid licence key.

2. How to register on Windows 9x? regsp.exe is for NT based OS, only.

Your whole procsess of registering a component is bad style. Sorry for hard words, but writing to registry HKLM is out of date and leaving the MS defined structure in the registry by creating a high-level folder instead of using HKLM\Software\Manufacturer\Application is not very nice. This is Win9x style. Esp. in Vista, virtualisation, DEP, UAC etc. can cause trouble. Using a new tool (regsp.exe) which does some security by obscurity does not make it better.
Why dont´t you give the sport.dll a property like Name and key which I have to fill up with my licence data at runtime from my application? That is the way thousands of components WORK.

Last but not least: Naming the component "sport.dll" is not clever at all. There is a sport.dll from Microsoft, which is part of Windows (9x) Plus Package. It belongs to a screensaver and its version number is higher then 3.x. The file is located in the Windows System directory.
So, if a user has installed the screensaver, a setup will fail to install the Eltima sport.dll because of its lower version number. The application will fail because of wrong dll.
The only chance to solve the problem is to replace the sport.dll in any case and do not pay attention to the version. This will of course destroy the MS Plus screensaver.
Dll hell at its best.

regards,

John

Re: License Dialog pops up for customers Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 05:50:11 PM
1) Please, be informed that you have to include the command into the code of your project which would execute the registration on clients PCs:

regsp.exe sport.dll /i:"Name#code"

2) Register it in OS by executing the command:
* Regsp.exe sport.dll - for Win NT (2000, 2003, XP, Vista) only
* regsvr32 sport.dll  - for Win 9x

3) We will investigate the issue, I'll answer you immediately as we find the solution you seek.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5