iCal sync problems(Read 14252 times)
iCal sync problems on: July 19, 2008, 09:40:53 AM
Using syncmate, I'm having no problems connecting my phone (HTC Touch) or uploading my appointments, but in sending them to iCal, Syncmate seems to convert all times to a.m.

For example, I have a class on Monday night from 7-9. I almost always sync from phone to computer. In iCal, it will list the appointment as 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. I've tried monkeying around with my clock settings on the phone to see if that would solve anything, but it hasn't.

Transferring the appointments the other way (from computer to phone) seems to work fine, but that's not of great use to me... although I also had issues with it duplicating appointments that were created on the phone when I synced from Mac->phone (I presume because the computer saw them as morning appointments)

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 04:32:50 PM
Could you please send us SyncMate Action log for investigation. Also please let us know you regional settings on Mac and on the mobile device.

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:24:27 PM
I think I have found another bug in the iCal sync.

Recurring appointments happening on the last (week)day of the month don't sync correctly.   Please follow these steps to re-create the problem (I can recreate it on mine consistently):

1) on your device's calendar, create a recurring event with the following characteristics:
   - starts on 28 May 2007
   - all day event
   - no reminder
   - status Free
   - occurs: yearly, on the last Monday of May, the pattern starts on Mon 28/05/2007 and does not end

2) sync your device with iCal (my setup syncs my devices categories to different calendars)

3) verify that you get "Add 1 events from Pocket" in the log

4) look in iCal, you should see one or both of the following (I haven't had time to narrow down the conditions and have had slightly different results in my tests):
   - one entry for the recurring event on 4 June 2007 and every year thereafter
   - one entry for the recurring event on 28 May 2007 and every year thereafter

5) open the iCal event for 4 June 2007 and you will see it has a recurrence of "every year on the last Monday of May"!

Creating the event from iCal doesn't seem to have any problems, although I have had problems when trying to edit an event in iCal that was originally created on the device (I can't be objective here because I haven't had time to test further, but all sorts of funny stuff happens, like the event changing from All Day to Mon 0:00 - Tue 0:00).

Here is an extract from the log:

Build 1.4.0.356
BackService version: 0.4.2b19
USB driver version: 0.2.4b9
Device platform PocketPC
Device CpuType 2577
Device Version 1283916293
Device OS Version 5.2
Device ModelName MDA_compact_IV
Handshake error.

Pocket driver version: 1, 1, 0, 296
Device platform PocketPC
Device CpuType 2577
Device OS Version 5.2
AS_CHECKINET error

BEGIN SYNCING...
Beginning a sync session...
NEGOTIATING entities to push to the sync engine...

Event 'syncServicePush' with entity: com.apple.calendars.Calendar for plugin: iCal
Event 'syncServicePush' with entity: com.apple.calendars.Event for plugin: iCal
Direction - Mac <-> Mobile device
Events in history - 1740
Add 1 events from Pocket
Change 0 events from Pocket
Del 0 events from Pocket
Event 'syncServicePush' with entity: com.apple.calendars.Recurrence for plugin: iCal
Event 'syncServicePush' with entity: com.apple.calendars.DisplayAlarm for plugin: iCal
PUSHING changes to sync engine for entities ()
MINGLING, invoking prepareToPullChangesForEntityNames: with filteredEntityNames=(null)
PULLING changes from the sync engine...
Event 'syncServicePull' for plugin: iCal
Found same events on mac - 0
Del 0 events from MAC
Add 0 events from MAC
Change 0 events from MAC
Committing accepted changes...
Ended sync session.
Event 'sync' for plugin: iCal
Event 'syncCommit' for plugin: iCal

END SYNCING

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 05:13:04 PM
to belovedra: Thank you very much for detailed report. We reproduced the problem you've encountered. The only unclear thing is the error when transferring to Mac. The first event is created with the right parameters but further events are messed up. May be it's iCal bug.  We confirm that there is our bug during transfer to the mobile device. Please be sure that we are working on fixing the problem and we will soon release the new improved version.

I would recommend you to subscribe to our Products Update notifications at http://www.eltima.com/software-updates/ This will enable you to select the product which is of interest to you and thus receive emails whenever the new build is released and the new product is released.

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 02:05:41 AM
Glad to have helped.

It's a great product and I'm seriously considering purchasing the full license, once I have tested the syncing a little bit further and I have 100% confidence in the data's integrity on both sides of the sync.   However, I believe I may have a couple of other minor little critters to report, once I actually get the time to do some proper tests.

By minor little critters I mean things like I suspect that there are circumstances where the notes in an iCal entry don't transfer from Mac to device (i.e. an iCal event created with some text in the Notes field will sometimes be transferred/synced to the device minus the notes).   Of course the text formatting is lost in the Notes field in the sync, but this is understandable given the two different platforms (shame though, I think it would be a great feature).   I also suspect that the alarms aren't always synced (again, I don't know the exact circumstances, I need to check - something like: alarms created in iCal by setting "Message with sound" in the iCal event don't get transferred over to the WM6's Calendar event??).

One more thing - a bizarre one, this. ???   (Also a bit off-topic, sorry!)  I have had to completely clear out my Mac's Sync Services and iCal files on a few occasions, as sometimes when I unplug my device, my Mac's mouse and keyboard cease to be responsive, even though the software is running in the background as normal (as far as I can tell by music playing and seeing a flashing keyboard cursor in e.g. TextEditor, without being able to do anything else but press and hold the power button to force a power down!  :-\).   Sync Services then gets its underwear in a twist and tries to convince SyncMate that there are a load of changes to be done (even though the device is fine, and so is iCal)!...   But to be fair, I don't think this is a SyncMate problem, I think it is more of a glitch in the OS X system (10.4.11), triggered by the disconnection of my Pocket PC (yes, I make sure I always click Disconnect in SyncMate as well as UnMount if I mounted the Internal Storage, then close the SyncMate, put the Pocket PC on standby, wait a couple of seconds for any system events to finish, and finally unplug my device - me?  careful??   :)).   I don't know if you've ever heard of this problem before?

Phew!   Long post!   I'm sorry!     ::)

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:07:34 AM
OK, one test done, one bug confirmed (from my side at least):

1) create an iCal event with an alarm
2) sync
3) confirm a new event in the device's calendar, but without an alarm

This is an annoying bug.   Could a fix be included in the next release?   Please?   :)

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 12:38:35 PM
As for not transferring the notes attached to the calendar: could you please send us an example of such event fot testing or please provide us the detailed settings.
As for mouse and keyboard hanging: we've never met such a problem, but if it happens we will surely investigate it.

As for iCal events created  without an alarm: please check if you selected Message or Message with sound in Alarm settings. If it was set to "Message with sound", note that in mobile device Alarm settings there is no such an option. That's why the event is transferred without an alarm.

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 02:25:18 PM
Hi Ann

Thanks for getting back on all that!

I've done some more tests.  ;D

OK, I confirmed the alarm with sound explanation.   I think that's acceptable, especially as it sounds like it's out of SyncMate's control.   It would be great if a warning could be displayed if an event with "alarm with sound" is synced, as it may be an important alarm that the user must have on their device.   I don't know if that's possible.   This could possibly be part of a set of warnings about data that could not be synced 100% due to technical incompatibilities.   I realise this would probably take some effort to implement though...

Now iCal Notes field.  I suspect this is a text length incompatibility.   I did the following tests:
1) create an iCal event with text in the Notes field with a length of 502 characters (no line breaks, I just used numbers)
2) sync
3) verify that there is NO text in the newly created event's notes on the device
4) edit the iCal event's Notes field text by deleting the last character so it now contains the same text but with one less character (length now 501 characters)
5) sync
6) verify that the text now does exist in the event's notes on the device

Another one for the warnings list?

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 02:29:16 PM
Sorry forgot the log!...

<LOG>
Build 1.4.0.356
BackService version: 0.4.2b19
USB driver version: 0.2.4b9
Device platform PocketPC
Device CpuType 2577
Device OS Version 5.2

Driver found. Starting...
Pocket driver version: 1, 1, 0, 296

BEGIN SYNCING...
Beginning a sync session...
NEGOTIATING entities to push to the sync engine...
Event 'syncServicePush' with entity: com.apple.calendars.Calendar for plugin: iCal
Event 'syncServicePush' with entity: com.apple.calendars.Event for plugin: iCal
Direction - Mac <-> Mobile device
Events in history - 1748
Add 0 events from Pocket
Change 0 events from Pocket
Del 0 events from Pocket
Event 'syncServicePush' with entity: com.apple.calendars.Recurrence for plugin: iCal
Event 'syncServicePush' with entity: com.apple.calendars.DisplayAlarm for plugin: iCal
PUSHING changes to sync engine for entities ()
MINGLING, invoking prepareToPullChangesForEntityNames: with filteredEntityNames=(null)
PULLING changes from the sync engine...
Event 'syncServicePull' for plugin: iCal
Found same events on mac - 0
Del 0 events from MAC
Add 0 events from MAC
Change 1 events from MAC
Committing accepted changes...
Ended sync session.
Event 'sync' for plugin: iCal
Event 'syncCommit' for plugin: iCal

END SYNCING
</LOG>

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 02:58:31 PM
I'm sorry for being so annoying!...   I'm actually posting these here so that if people search for them they will find these issue reports and hopefully get the information they need quickly.   You could mark these as fixed on here when they eventually are, or I certainly will if I'm still using the software.  :)   Feel free to tell me to stop and report these another way.  :)

So...  I found something else.    ::)   iCal Notes field again...   I've noticed that line breaks don't come across to the device.   To replicate, do as follows:

1) create iCal event with the following text in the notes (type this in, to avoid carriage return and linefeed characters being changed by the browser or the copy/paste functions on your machine):

<start>
this is a test <insert a single new line after this>
this is a test <insert two consecutive new lines after this>

this is a test
<end>

2) sync

3) verify that the device has the following text in the synced notes:

<start>this is a test <insert a single new line after this>this is a test <insert two consecutive new lines after this>this is a test
<end>

Interestingly, syncing the other way works:

4) edit that event on the device and insert the line breaks in the appropriate places

5) sync

6) verify that the iCal event Notes show the text with the line breaks intact

(Log similar to post above, except step 5) produces "Change 1 events from Pocket" and "Add 0 events from MAC", as expected - let me know if there is any other information you need)

Another one for the warnings list?   Or is it an unhandled linebreak conversion problem between WM6.1 and OS X 10.4?

Re: iCal sync problems Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:00:53 PM
Thank you very much for your detailed report and useful suggestions. We will take them into consideration when preparing the new version release.

I would recommend you to subscribe to our Products Update notifications at http://www.eltima.com/software-updates/ This will enable you to select the product which is of interest to you and thus receive emails whenever the new build is released and the new product is released.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5