Quick Q about Virtual Serial Application(Read 10787 times)
Quick Q about Virtual Serial Application on: October 21, 2008, 04:14:41 AM
Hi all - I'm fairly sure this is a basic question but want to make sure before purchasing...  the scenario I'm faced with is as follows:

We have a number of earthmoving machines with onboard health management systems that we wish to link to wirelessly.  The onboard systems are all serial enabled and are currently downloaded using OEM software (via physical link) on a regular basis. 
What I imagine is a Wireless Serial Server on each machines serial port that allocates individual IP's to which we can then access virtually using a single networked PC (retaining the OEM software functionality as well).

The problem I have is I couldn't determine with any confidence exactly how Virtual Serial Port software interacts with Serial-to-WLAN(or ethernet) type hardware.  Is it possible to create a virtual serial connection to an IP address or is there a requirement to run virtual software on the both ends?

Any assistance/suggestions would be appreciated...
Cheers

Re: Quick Q about Virtual Serial Application Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 02:19:34 PM
Hello,

I would recommend you to look at Serial To Ethernet Connector. This product will hopefully be the solution you seek. Please, be informed that Serial to Ethernet Connector is an advanced software solution that allows you to share more than 255 serial port devices over network easily turning your computer into low-cost terminal server. Thus, any serial port device connected to a COM port can be accessed from anywhere in the world (via Internet or LAN) as if it is attached directly to the remote PC.

When the attached serial port device sends communication data, it is actually transmitted over TCP/IP network and back from the network to your serial device.

To read more about its features, please visit the page:
http://www.eltima.com/products/serial-over-ethernet/

To download free trial version and test its functionality yourself, please follow the link: http://www.eltima.com/download/serial-over-ethernet/

Re: Quick Q about Virtual Serial Application Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:56:18 AM
Thanks Tina - I did look at the SEC solution but from the network diagram given on the product page it appears SEC is needed on both ends to virtualise the serial...  is this correct or can I run SEC on a remote PC and utilise 'dumb' serial to ethernet hardware on the serial port?

This might make it clearer...

PC with SEC-----WLAN----->Serial port with IP (no SEC)

Re: Quick Q about Virtual Serial Application Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 05:45:10 PM
Hello,

It is not necessary to install Serial to Ethernet Connector on both ends. Please install the software on your single networked PC and create Client Connection on the virtual COM ports. Please specify the IP address and TCP port of the Wireless Serial Server.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5