How to connect by WiFi?(Read 35610 times)
How to connect by WiFi? on: November 30, 2008, 09:57:33 PM
HTC Touch HD and OSX 10.5.5.
It connects perfectly by USB but not by WiFi.
What IP address should I write or what device name?
I tried IP but without success.
I use WiFI router set to open network without password and MAC or other filtering.
SyncMate driver on PDA is set to "allow all"

A.

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 11:45:25 AM
Please enter mobile device name or IP address into the "Connection" field. (Start->Settings->Connections->Network Card-> Use specific IP)
If the problem persists please write to support@eltima.com, I will send you a tutorial on how to configure wi-fi settings.

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:26:13 PM
What is "mobile device name" ?
Where can I find it?

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 09:51:32 AM
could you please give me your email address or write to support@eltima.com? I will send you a tutorial on how to configure wi-fi settings.

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:28:00 AM
Can you post this to a message here instead so everyone can benefit from the tutorial? Would like to know how to do this as well (and I'm sure there are others).

Thanks for the cool app... totally blows Missing Sync out of the water (and they've been working on theirs for years!)

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 04:31:20 PM
Probably it is TOP SECRET!!!...
;-)
OK this is  Ann's answer for my first mail:

Please note that the first connection should be established via USB in order to install SyncMate driver on the mobile device.  Normally SyncMate driver installation will pop up on your mobile device as soon as you attach it to your Mac. If it doesn't happen please check the following:

1) One of the possible reasons for connection failure is that Mac firewall blocks the connection or PDA firewall blocks driver installation. On Mac, try this: System Preferences ->  Security/Sharing (Internet and Network)-> Firewall -> Allow All Incoming Connections.
I understand that setting your firewall to Allow all incoming connections is scary, but the fact is (confirmed by our testers and multiple clients reports) that Mac firewall's behavior is somewhat strange.

Still, you can try to temporary allow all connections to make sure that the problem is caused by the firewall.

2) If you are using Windows Mobile 6, we recommend to enable "Advanced network functionality". To do this, on your device go to: Start -> Settings -> Connections -> USB to PC.

3) Please, switch your mobile to a device mode. As you perhaps know the mobile phone can be detected by Mac in two modes: as a drive with folders or as a device (available for syncing). The mode which is to be enabled is called RNDIS or Active Sync Mode (differs depending on the device model).

4) Start > Program > Activ Sync > Menu > Connections >  check box "Sync all PCs using this connection" > drop down list USB

5) Please follow System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing.  If  "USB Ethernet (en1)"  or "Win mobile device"  option is enabled please uncheck it. Then restart your Mac.

I'm afraid it even doesn't touch WiFi....

Then she responds:

Please see attached a swf tutorial on how to configure wi-fi settings.
Please, let me know if you haven't received the attachment and give any alternative email where I can resend the SWF to.
it was nothing more in the swf than in the help
And no response for my answers

So a bit later i recived:
As I understand SyncMate driver is installed on your PDA and is set to "allow all"
Please check the IP you enter. Make sure that you enter it correctly (i.e 196.235.6.5 not 19623565 )
Make sure that  you enter in SyncMate  the same IP as in network adapter  settings on the mobile device.
Please provide us with the detailed path to the network adapter, we will check it

Last sentence is incredible - it looks that they even not know WM6.1....
So I quit this conversation.... it not makes any sense....

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:15 PM
I'd say don't be so demanding, this is free software and it does a better job than most of the (pay-for) competition.

I also received the .swf but DID find it useful. I didn't know that we're supposed to set the Ethernet driver to use a static IP, the docs that I read do not state this exactly (or I misunderstood them).

That said, setting a static IP and enabling the WM6 SyncMate driver, SyncMate did not succeed in creating a connection over WiFi. Not sure what to do next really...

USB connection still works great though! SyncMate still beats out the competition hands down! (and I've tried them all)

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 03:54:01 PM
I'd say don't be so demanding, this is free software

I've bought full version for about 40$...

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 04:28:12 PM
Ahh right. Well then I say be demanding!

haha. I forgot there was a pay version.

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 01:37:26 PM
Dear Andreas, could you please ping your mobile device from Mac?

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 02:52:03 PM
Dear Ann,
Two weeks ago i asked:
What is "mobile device name" ?
Where can I find it?
And you, after that time, after two hundred words about everything except simple answer...

I found kind of "device name" but it doesn't work....

I found that the only way to connect by WiFi (set to DHCP) is not to set static IP but first check what is my PDA IP at the moment and then "Add new WiFi device" from drop-down menu - works in 90%.
But I would like to connect to device by static IP (which actually doesn't work) or by device name - without checking every time IP...

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:00:59 PM by andreas »

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 05:08:44 PM
Please try to set a static IP and to ping the mobile device from your Mac's terminal. It's the most reliable way to configure syncing over wi-fi. If it will ping the mobile device then it will work ok with SyncMate. 
To know the mobile device name please follow Start -> Settings -> System -> About -> DeviceID

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 06:46:52 PM
I was having problems connecting via WiFi as well, and I found that if you run the SyncMate Driver program on your phone, there is a setting at the top of the screen that for me was set to "Disable WiFi".

I changed that to "Allow All" and clicked OK, and it worked just fine by specifying the IP.  Didn't seem to work by name, but the IP address worked just fine.

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 12:13:14 AM
Is there anybody in the world who could connect by Device Name?

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 01:06:27 AM
I wasn't able to get it working.  Did my fix work for you?

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #15 on: December 24, 2008, 01:28:38 AM
I didn't had such a problem - as stated few post before i could connect by IP but I don't want set my device to static IP because I use lot of networks and so on. If i write actual IP it connects - but it takes time - find IP in device, write it into program... and there is no possibility (i didnt found it)  to delete unused entries without reesting so now i have twenty or more of them in the list...
SO... IF THE WRITE THAT CONNECTING BY DEVICE NAME IS POSSIBLE  where is it? How to connect by device name?
The answers are:
- set static IP,
- ping your device
- ...first connection should be established via USB
- ping your device from terminal

I don't want to use terminal even if i know whats that.

-ping, ping, ping.

Andres

PS
...i bought Parralles Desktop but only for installing exe files...

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 04:18:11 PM
In the current version of SyncMate connection by device name is difficult because Mac can't recognize the NetBIOS name. There are 3 ways to resolve this:

1. Install DDNS server
2. Assign IP in \etc\hosts file
3. Wait for the next release of SyncMate where this problem will be fixed

I would recommend you to subscribe to our Products Update notifications at http://www.eltima.com/software-updates/ This will enable you to select the product which is of interest to you and thus receive emails whenever the new build is released and the new product is released.

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 05:48:55 PM
For what it is worth, I was able to get wifi syncing to work only if I set a static IP on the phone, then created a peer-to-peer wifi network from the macbook.

Having the macbook and the phone connected to the same different access point did not work.

It's a bit kludgy really, because I have to disconnect from my existing wifi connection specifically to sync.

Any hope for SyncMate supporting bluetooth sync over PAN? Would make syncing a lot easier (and smoother for those of us who already use PAN for tethering).

Re: How to connect by WiFi? Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 02:22:22 PM
We don't plan to implement bluetooth support. But note that we will soon release a new update for SyncMate with research by Netbios name implemented. So connection will be much easier. We sincerely apologize for the temporary inconveniences you go through using our product.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5