Serial port activeX quiet registration fail(Read 9716 times)
Serial port activeX quiet registration fail on: August 14, 2012, 06:44:33 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to do an installer for our application with the serial port ActiveX component (OEM licence). The installer I am using is NSIS.
In NSIS I go to the folder with the component and run:
Exec '"regsp.exe" "sport.dll /i:$\"name#licence$\""'
which translates to running:
regsp.exe sport.dll /i:"name#licence$"

All seems OK during the install (tested under Vista), but then when I run the application it prompts for the licence details.

If I try running the same command from a command prompt I get the error message: DllRegisterServer in sport.dll failed. Return code was: 0x80070005.
This is confusing, as according to Microsoft this error message is for pre-Vista versions of regsvr32, whereas I am testing on Vista.

If I run the same command on the development machine, where the component is already registered, there is no error message.

Any thoughts?

Tim

Re: Serial port activeX quiet registration fail Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:11:04 AM
Hello Tim,

I've replied to you via e-mail earlier today. The error 0x80070005 is indicative of insufficient permissions. Registering the ActiveX in the system needs to be performed with administrator rights.

Re: Serial port activeX quiet registration fail Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 01:12:08 PM
It wasn't the installer permissions - the installer was running with admin rights.
Doing some monitoring suggested a permissions problem when regsp.exe was called - perhaps it needed some specific file or folder permissions or something.
I've worked round it by ignoring your regsp.exe tool and just calling regsvr32 directly. Tests OK in Vista, just trying in Win 7 64bit.
Are there any reasons not to follow this route? If so, can you give more info on what rights regsp.exe needs?
Tim

Re: Serial port activeX quiet registration fail Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:07:00 PM
I've worked round it by ignoring your regsp.exe tool and just calling regsvr32 directly. Tests OK in Vista, just trying in Win 7 64bit.
Are there any reasons not to follow this route? If so, can you give more info on what rights regsp.exe needs?
If fact, for registering the ActiveX in the system you should always use the standard regsvr32 utility, on all platforms.

According to our technicians, regsp.exe was required for some purposes in the past releases, and in current version of SPAX there's absolutely no need in using it - the standard regsvr32.exe should be used instead. As far as I know, there's currently no mentioning of regsp.exe in our user manual, however it's still present in our installer, which may be a source of confusion - most likely, it will be gone in the nearest update.

Re: Serial port activeX quiet registration fail Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:23:56 PM
OK, thanks for clearing that up.
FYI it is still mentioned in the Help file (including the current help file).
It may be worth updating the help file, and explicitly stating on the web site that people should register using regsvr32 and not your regsp tool?
Tim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5