SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs(Read 17376 times)
SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs on: January 08, 2009, 01:24:04 PM
Here are some annoyances & bugs found after using SyncMate for a week or so:

* Periodically wakes computer if sleeping and device connected; this is _absolutely not good behavior_ for a Mac app. This behavior kills battery (bad bad bad) and is generally unpleasant. No app should wake the computer unless I say it can.
    * If phone is switched off (standby) and plugged in, SyncMate will constantly wake it. Don't do it unless I say it's ok.
    * SyncMate does not allow the phone to sleep (screen switched off) if plugged in; no matter what Power settings you specify on the phone.
    * No way to disable SyncMate from auto-launching on phone connect. Sometimes I just want to charge the phone not load SyncMate. Forcing me to wait until SyncMate has loaded just to quit SyncMate is unfriendly and annoying.
    * Auto Synchronize doesn't appear to function. Disabling this or enabling this I saw no change in Sync behavior (maybe I'm missing something).
    * Profile UI management is wonky; Profile Management is limited to  either create / set existing, or delete all. No delete 1 profile behavior; this is obviously very poor. Macs already have a solution for the needed UI here using + & - (see System Preference->Networks for an example). Thinking this could appear in SyncMate -> Preferences or separate floating window.
    * Mount Disk; buggy and odd things happen if you close SyncMate after mounting a phone as a disk. SyncMate doesn't seem to know that disk was mounted, then if closing & later when trying to remount, SyncMate loads a random folder instead.
    * No Smart Group support for Address Book :( (mentioned previously)
    * Creating a Note on the phone, then Syncing with Notes activated, doesn't show that Note in my Mail Notes folder. It looks like SyncMate uses the Stickies app instead of the latest Notes support in Leopard Mail. Stickies is old, Mail Notes is new, so logically SyncMate should use the new Mail Notes feature or rename their support for Notes as Stickies.
    * Syncing Pictures; would like the option to remove the pictures from the phone after they've been synced to the Mac. I take pictures and Sync them to my Mac I don't want them on the phone anymore.
    * Would like some "Sync if haven't synced within X minutes" feature.
    * SyncMate forum New Topic text controls try to mimic Windows controls... UGLY! :P

Other than the above, the app does a good job! :)

Re: SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:32:39 PM
Thank you for your attention and detailed report.

* Periodically wakes computer if sleeping and device connected; this is _absolutely not good behavior_ for a Mac app. This behavior kills battery (bad bad bad) and is generally unpleasant. No app should wake the computer unless I say it can.

Driver on the mobile device is made in such a way that it keeps the mobile device active while performing any action - otherwise, the mobile device goes to sleep after some time. Perhaps, it's longer that assigned in the system

* If phone is switched off (standby) and plugged in, SyncMate will constantly wake it. Don't do it unless I say it's ok.
* SyncMate does not allow the phone to sleep (screen switched off) if plugged in; no matter what Power settings you specify on the phone.
* No way to disable SyncMate from auto-launching on phone connect. Sometimes I just want to charge the phone not load SyncMate. Forcing me to wait until SyncMate has loaded just to quit SyncMate is unfriendly and annoying.

We will implement the option to disable this reaction to the device connection in the forthcoming new build of SyncMate

Auto Synchronize doesn't appear to function. Disabling this or enabling this I saw no change in Sync behavior (maybe I'm missing something).

Auto Synchronize option is not exactly what you mean. There is no option to auto sync on launching but some applications can launch sync process by themselves after some modifications made. So you can enable/disable this option.

Profile UI management is wonky; Profile Management is limited to  either create / set existing, or delete all. No delete 1 profile behavior; this is obviously very poor. Macs already have a solution for the needed UI here using + & - (see System Preference->Networks for an example). Thinking this could appear in SyncMate -> Preferences or separate floating window.

Concerning profile management we are working on improving it.  Please wait for the next SyncMate build.

Mount Disk; buggy and odd things happen if you close SyncMate after mounting a phone as a disk. SyncMate doesn't seem to know that disk was mounted, then if closing & later when trying to remount, SyncMate loads a random folder instead.

Please note that Mount Disk feature is in beta stage. We will try to reproduce and to fix the problem you've encountered.

No Smart Group support for Address Book Sad (mentioned previously)
We will also implement Smart Groups for Contacts ;)

Creating a Note on the phone, then Syncing with Notes activated, doesn't show that Note in my Mail Notes folder. It looks like SyncMate uses the Stickies app instead of the latest Notes support in Leopard Mail. Stickies is old, Mail Notes is new, so logically SyncMate should use the new Mail Notes feature or rename their support for Notes as Stickies.

Thank you for you suggestion. We will surely take it into consideration. I think we will implement an additional plugin allowing to sync notes to the Mail agent.

Syncing Pictures; would like the option to remove the pictures from the phone after they've been synced to the Mac. I take pictures and Sync them to my Mac I don't want them on the phone anymore.

Sure, we will also implement the feature to move files

Would like some "Sync if haven't synced within X minutes" feature.
It is really usefull to make timer for synchronization? How will it help you?  ::)

Re: SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:21:11 AM
If you do change Notes to sync with Mail Notes, perhaps you can make an option in the settings for the user to decide if they want to synchronise with either Mail Notes or Stickies.   I know I would personally prefer Stickies.

I would also like to add another bug that is a little annoying.   All-day events in iCal seem to sync to timed events in the device (eg. 07 Apr 09 00:00 - 08 Apr 09 00:00).   Reproducible as follows:

1) start with a device-created all day event with alarm
2) sync
3) verify event in iCal
4) edit event, changing the alarm
5) sync
6) event in device has changed from all-day to timed, as described above

Thanks for your fantastic support on here, especially Ann.   This is probably one of the best forums I've seen in terms of support for a product!   Well done!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 11:34:59 AM by belovedra »

Re: SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 11:45:35 AM
Thank you for your positive feedback.
What version of SyncMate do you use? Also let us know your Windows Mobile and iCal versions.

Re: SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 05:29:37 PM
Syncmate 2.0 with Mac OS 10.5.7 and an HTC Touch Diamond 2

It would be helpful if you mentioned somewhere on your website that 'Enable faster data syncrhonization' must be enabled in the USB -> PC dialog on the Windows Mobile device. I screwed around with my device for hours trying to get it recognised by Syncmate before discovering this was necessary..

The iTunes sync options should be improved to allow selection of multiple folders in the selection dialog. My iTunes library contains more than 1000 albums and I have an 8 GB storage card in my Windows Mobile device. Each time I add a folder in the iTunes sync dialog in Syncmate I have to scroll endlessly through folders on my Mac, making the process of adding music to my device incredibly clumsy.

Using the playlist option in the Syncmate dialog would be an option, but the HTC TouchFlo 3D music player assigns the same album cover to all songs in synced playlists. Playlists usually contain songs from multiple albums.. To get around this problem (which is admittedly not caused by Syncmate), I am forced to sync playlists in Syncmate, then disconnect my device, reconnect in USB disk mode and move the songs I synced from the directory structure created by Syncmate on the disk into a single folder so that the album art shows up. It would be helpful if Syncmate could be configured to sync the songs in the playlist without the playlist itself (in other words, to sync selected songs from the selected playlist into the desired folder on the device without creating a new folder in the selected folder..

Windows Mobile automatically saves new telephone numbers with parentheses and other punctuation marks. I use the Address Book entries on my Mac with other software that reads these telephone numbers incorrectly. It would be helpful if Syncmate stored synced data in the formats I have defined on my Mac instead of using the Windows Mobile settings.

During the first sync with Syncmate, Syncmate added duplicate addresses to the contacts in my Address Book. In the duplicate addresses, the country entry was left out and the descriptors where changed (e.g. from Home to Work and vice versa). I deleted the extra addresses from 100 contacts on my Mac and the problem has not appeared again.

Aside from the issues mentioned above, Syncmate works quite well and offers more functionality than Microsoft Active Sync. Well done.

Re: SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 04:31:34 PM
We appreciate your feature suggestions. We will surely do our best to fix all the problems and mistakes and we also plan to implement the most of options you've described.

Re: SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:36:15 PM
Syncmate 2.0 with Mac OS 10.5.7 and an HTC Touch Diamond 2

Thanks for your reply Ann :-)

Two additional comments:

SyncMate inserts a comma in contacts already listed in Mail on Mac OS X as first name, last name. Not pretty..

The SyncMate user interface is really unattractive (this is a matter of taste of course) and inefficient (but this isn't):

- Why is so much space wasted by the icons at the top of the screen? I would prefer to be able to see all of my settings without having to scroll and that would be possible if the icon bar were smaller. The icons should be no larger than 44x44, the default size in Mac OS X and the names of my devices should appear in full, wrapped, as they do under Mac OS X icons.

- The design of the icon bar at the top of the screen is unnecessarily busy. The rest of the program screens use a very simple, Mac-like arrow. The left and right arrows in the icon bar should be consistent with the rest of the program, without the extra shaded shield on the vertical line.

- The same holds true for the arrow symbols in the sync direction drop-down listboxes in the plugin dialog screens. Surely your programmers can think of a more elegant solution than a - combined with a < or > ;-)

- Also, I don't even use Entourage. I shouldn't be confronted with a 'Read more>>' bar concerning Entourage in the Contacts and iCal dialog screens. I tried clicking the 'Read more>> button in the hope this bar would disappear, but it doesn't...

- It would be great if I could specify which selection boxes show up in the vertical bar on the left-hand side of the screen (e.g. 'Show only selected plugins' option in the SyncMate Preferences.. That would make the interface more compact and less busy looking.

- The fonts in the vertical bar on the left-hand side of the screen should also be the same size as the fonts in Finder in Mac OS X. That would also save some space on the screen.

- The Select picture button opens a list of icons built into SyncMate. It does not appear to be possible to change this list by adding a .png of my device to the SyncMate folder that holds the other icons in this list. I have to open the SyncMate package contents to drag the .png I've created and stored in the SyncMate folder structure into the dialog in SyncMate.

- The information on the Time plugin dialog screen is incomplete. SyncMate sends the time on the Mac to the device. I found that out by trying the function. It should be specifically stated in this screen.

- I've upgraded to expert edition, but 'Enter Unlock Code' and 'Upgrade to Expert edition' still appear in the SyncMate menu.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. It's meant to be constructive :-)

Re: SyncMate: Annoyances & Bugs Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 10:36:31 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I've forwarded your features request to our developers and designers.

I would like to recommend you to subscribe to our RSS feed to be first to know about SyncMate updates:
http://mac.eltima.com/rss/en-syncmate.rss

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5