"error: Unable to share specific usb port. Unable to restart USB device."(Read 17672 times)
I am trying to run USB to Ethernet Connector Version 3.0 Build 3.0.6.406.

Operating system: Windows XP.  Tested with SP1, SP2 and SP3 on THREE different machines with completely different hardware.  Same error!

When I try to share ANY USB device I always get the same error:
"Error: Unable to share specific USB port. Unable to restart USB device."

Manual states, "Please, note if you are unable to share the device, try unplugging the device, sharing the port where that device was present, and plugging it in again."

When I unplug the device I am trying to share I see PORTx:Free (where x is the number of the port).  Then when I try to share that port I get the same error message, ""Error: Unable to share specific usb port. Unable to restart USB device."

I have tried every USB device I own and on three different machines all running Windows XP with SP1, SP2 or SP3 and nothing changes.  ALWAYS the same error message.

u2ec.log is NOT very helpful as all I ever see is START SERVICE.  See below:

13.01.2009 09:02:10  - ------------------------------------
13.01.2009 09:02:10  -           start service             
13.01.2009 09:02:10  - ------------------------------------

Am I doing something wrong?

Is there any way to get a more informative error message?

How do I fix this???

I would REALLY like to get this software running as it has GREAT potential!!!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

PS - A competitor USB over IP software works PERFECTLY but only shares ONE DEVICE which is why I am looking for something better.  I tried their software AFTER I could not make your software work so I know this was not a driver or software conflict.

Please, reboot your PC. If it does not fix the problem, then please reinstall USB to Ethernet Connector.

I guess I should have mentioned that I have already rebooted and re-installed multiple times on three different computers with no change.  I tried that before starting this topic as I read your replies to others on this forum with the same error message which seems to be a fairly common error message.  Unfortunately nothing changed and I continue to get the same error message.

I am at a loss as to what to try next as the program is not giving me any useful error message other than "Error: Unable to share specific USB port. Unable to restart USB device."  Nothing I have tried so far changes that error message.

Same with u2ec.log which only states, "Start service".  Again, not very helpful.

Is there any way to get a more informative error dialog so I can troubleshoot this problem or is there something else you can suggest?

I kindly ask you to provide us with more detailed information.

1) Please send us a screenshot of USB to Ethernet Connector About screen;

2) Please, export the following register string:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60- 465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

...and send it to mailto:support@eltima.com

3) Please, check, whether "Virtual USB Hub" is present in the Device Manager -> System Devices section.

I would appreciate your help in this matter.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5